Future Proofing Cotteswold Dairy
What we provided:Construction & Commercial Project Management
Cotteswold Dairy is a thriving, award winning, independent, family-run business with a strong Cotswold heritage. Founded in 1938, the business employs more than 300 staff and processes 200,000 litres of milk every day. It is listed within the top 50 businesses within Gloucestershire.
When the Dairy began to look at expanding the site it’s been located on since 1969 it looked for a construction partner that would understand its traditional family values and the importance of its heritage.
The Dairy were initially looking to bolt on a couple of buildings to their current site and wanted a Project Manager to manage the construction process.
Vitruvius sat down with the Dairy to look at their business objectives for the next 15 or 20 years to make sure the proposed plans met those objectives. It became clear that bolting on a couple of buildings would not be in the Dairy’s best interests, in a few years’ time they’d need more space and would have nowhere to go.
Working in partnership with the Dairy, Vitruvius started to look at Master Planning the development of their site with the objective of future proofing their operational premises needs for the next 5 to 15 years.
Vitruvius was recommended to us and suggested we look at Master Planning the whole site and to be honest, we haven’t looked back.
Our role in the project
Working in partnership with the Dairy, Vitruvius looked at Master Planning the development of their site to meet their future business objectives.
- The masterplan had to allow for phased redevelopment to cater for the future needs of the business but also have the flexibility to adapt to suit market conditions.
- During the pre-construction stage Vitruvius gained detailed planning for the first 3 phases of the masterplan and outline permission was secured for the remaining phases.
- The first phase of the project included significant enabling works which saw the bulk of the Dairy’s lorry fleet moving to a purpose built Lorry Park.
- With the lorries moved across the road from the main site space was made available for a new cold store, welfare and office facilities to be progressed.
- Phase 1 of the masterplan should be complete by the end of 2017.
The Dairy had evolved on the same site for more than 45 years which comprises a production facility, cold storage, distribution centre, transport, head office and depot functions. The challenge was to cater for all these functional centres in a joined up solution that would work, not only when all the phases were built out, but also during the interim stages.